Welcome 2015! We would like to thank the members for their continued support throughout 2014 and look forward to working together during 2015. Many events are being planned for this year, seminars/workshops, scholarship fundraisers, annual awards event, networking luncheons, breakfasts, and mixers.
2015 Membership Renewals were mailed to all members in December. Please take a minute to complete and return the required form so our 2015 Membership Directory and website will be current with your information.
The Santa’s Elves committee would like to thank all our volunteers for their hard work with the Holiday Party for the children in need of the Slate Belt. This year we served about 93 children. We look forward to seeing all of you at our annual Dime Toss Booth this
August at the fair. Start saving your glassware now!
The first Economic Development committee meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 20th, 2015, 8 am at the chamber office. All are welcome to join us.
Special “thank you” Elite Gourmet Catering, Bangor Area School District, students and the fantastic Chamber Chorus for a great
Holiday Slate Belt Toys for Children drive. We delivered many toys to Families First of the Pen Argyl School District and Slater
Family Network of the Bangor School District.
The Election of Directors was held at our annual holiday celebration on the 17th. The 2015 SBCC Directors are as follows: Fred Curcio, Paul Donovan, Jr., Lucy Flinn, Steve Hurni, Bryan Gault, Victor Rodite, Kim Armitage, Rosemary Albert, Mary Marshall, Jewel Williamson-Burns, Nadine Moyer, Joann Ginder, Chuck Niclaus, Jeff Ott & Adolph Marth. Special “Thank You” goes to Kirkridge for hosting our Annual Holiday Celebration, the food was great and the atmosphere perfect. Showcase your business….sign up to be a sponsor or host an SBCC 2015 Mixer, Business Luncheon, Breakfast or Seminar. Why not show off your business. The time has come to select the 2015 events, hosts and sponsors. A great way to show off your company and involve members in your business. If your business doesn’t have the facility to host an event we can use your donation towards an event and also advertise your business as the sponsor. Interested? Contact the office at 610.588.1000. 2015 Newsletter sponsorships are also available for 2015. Cost is $200 for the year. You will receive your company name on each printed edition, electronic version and on our webpage.
SBCCC UPCOMING EVENTS
- 2/12: Tri-Chamber Valentines Mixer @ Best Western, Rt. 512/22, Bethlehem, 5-7 pm
- 2/25: SBCC Breakfast @ Detzi’s Tavern, 8 am
- 5/2: Slate Belt Safety Fair & SBCC Business Expo
- 5/14: Scholarship Awards Dinner
- 6/19: Chamber Night Iron Pigs Baseball Game
- 7/20: Scholarship Golf Classic @ Woodstone Country Club
- More events to come……call with your suggestions!
Lehigh Valley Steelhawks: Give the gift of Steelhawks football this holiday season! Season ticket packages are available this season to give to friends and family. Spread the joy and entertainment of Steelhawks Football. Happy Holidays! www.lvsteelhawks.com
NEW MANUFACTURING RETENTION PROGRAM EXPANDS INTO NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA
The Strategic Early Warning Network (SEWN) is pleased to announce that Mr. Gary A. Wickham has joined us as Regional Director – Northeast PA. Mr. Wickham comes to us with extensive background in corporate turnaround and manufacturing consulting. His experience is in a broad array of industries including metals, automotive, distribution and commodities trading. Concurrent with Mr. Wickham’s arrival, SEWN has relocated its Northeast Regional office from Wilkes-Barre to the Lehigh Valley, Northeast Pennsylvania’s fastest-growing area. The new office location is 1 West Broad St., 11th Floor, Bethlehem, PA 18018. The Strategic Early Warning Network offers professional layoff aversion and business retention services free of charge. The Northeast Region is comprised of the following sixteen (16) counties: Bradford, Carbon, Columbia, Lackawanna, Lehigh, Luzerne, Monroe, Northampton, Pike, Potter, Schuylkill, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Tioga, Wayne and Wyoming. Statewide and regionally, SEWN provides professional and confidential turnaround, financial, and investment services to small and middle market firms employing 25 to 500 workers through the following core services:
- Financial Restructuring to enable the business to meet its current financial obligations and investment needs.
- Operations and Cost Management to assist the business in reducing its cost of goods sold, securing new markets for its services, improving the quality of its products, and utilizing new technologies in order to return it to competitiveness in the marketplace.
- Ownership Transition to secure investors, management and new business plans necessary to change the ownership, organization and direction of businesses, including succession buyouts.
- High-Performance Workplace Strategies to enable businesses to implement new solutions for improving their productivity and competitiveness.
- New Market Opportunities to provide inexpensive access to sales and marketing consultants for improving the company’s sales performance and ability to find the new markets and customers needed to sustain these vital businesses and jobs, especially when firms suddenly lose their primary customers.
In the past five fiscal years, 2009 – 2013, SEWN staff and consultants successfully averted the potential loss of 5300 jobs, meeting and exceeding the goals for industrial monitoring and layoff aversion service delivery. Through SEWN’s efforts, the Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry averted $34,800,883 in Unemployment Compensation Benefits payments during this time frame and, in just the past two fiscal years, SEWN added a positive economic impact of $1,578,656,494. (PA L&I) The Strategic Early Warning Network (SEWN) is administered by the Steel Valley Authority, which is recognized locally and nationally for its business retention services model and is sponsored by the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry. For additional information regarding SEWN’s Northeast Pennsylvania services, please contact Gary Wickham, Northeast Regional Director, at 610-849-2735, or visit the web site at www.steelvalley.org/saving-jobs/sewn.
DON’T’ FORGET TO LIKE US ON FACEBOOK: SLATEBELTCHAMBER
Gift Certificates are available at the SBCC office year round for many of our area businesses!
SBCC Mission Statement: To promote and enhance positive business activity and growth in the Slate Belt region with special
emphasis on community involvement.
SBCC, 187 Blue Valley Dr., Bangor, PA 18013 610.588.1000 firstname.lastname@example.org www.slatebeltchamber.org
Bangor Area School District Chamber Chorus